A stomach specialist is also known as a gastroenterologist. This type of specialist focuses on diagnosing and treating disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, which includes the stomach, intestines, and other related organs.
Common problems that a stomach doctor treats include heartburn, gastritis, ulcers, and Crohn’s disease. A gastroenterologist may also perform endoscopies and colonoscopies (see what is involved in these tests on this page: https://www.andrea-digestive-clinic.com/) to diagnose or treat gastrointestinal disorders. Ideally, you may be referred to a stomach doctor in Singapore if your GP suspects that you could be troubled by GI disorders.
A gastroenterologist typically completes four years of college, four years of medical school, and 3-5 years of training in a residency or fellowship program. After completing their training, a gastroenterologist must pass a rigorous exam to become certified. To maintain certification, a gastroenterologist must complete continuing education credits every year.
When should I See a Stomach Specialist?
If you are experiencing any problems with your stomach or intestines, it is important to see a specialist for diagnosis and treatment. A stomach doctor will be able to determine the cause of your symptoms and recommend the best course of treatment for you. The common symptoms that may indicate the need for a visit to a stomach doctor in Singapore include:
- Heartburn or acid reflux: Heartburn or acid reflux can be caused by many different gastrointestinal disorders and can be a sign that something is wrong. Common causes of heartburn include gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), gastritis, and ulcers.
- Nausea and vomiting: Nausea and vomiting can have many different causes, including food poisoning, a stomach virus, and pregnancy. However, if you are experiencing persistent or severe nausea and vomiting, it is important to see a specialist to rule out more serious causes. They will be able to determine the cause of your symptoms and recommend treatment.
- Abdominal pain: Abdominal pain can be caused by many different gastrointestinal disorders, such as gastritis, ulcers, Crohn’s disease, and pancreatitis. You should try to see a stomach specialist as soon as possible if you are experiencing abdominal pain that does not go away after a few days. This visit is important to rule out more serious causes.
- Changes in bowel habits: Changes in bowel habits isn’t always normal. It can be caused by many different gastrointestinal disorders, including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and celiac disease. A stomach specialist can help you determine the cause of your symptoms and recommend treatment.
- Blood in stool: Blood in the stool can be a sign of a serious gastrointestinal disorder, such as colorectal cancer. If you see blood in your stool, it is important to see a specialist for diagnosis and treatment.
- Weight loss: You shouldn’t lose weight without trying. If you are losing weight without changing your diet or exercise habits, it is important to see a specialist to rule out more serious causes. Unexplained weight loss may be a sign of a gastrointestinal disorder, such as Crohn’s disease or celiac disease.
- Lactose intolerance: Lactose intolerance is when your body can’t digest lactose, a sugar found in milk and other dairy products. If you are experiencing symptoms of lactose intolerance, such as diarrhea, bloating, and abdominal pain, it is important to see your stomach doctor in Singapore. They can help you determine if you are truly intolerant of lactose or if you have another gastrointestinal disorder, such as IBS.
- Constipation: Constipation is when you have trouble having a bowel movement or your stools are hard and dry. It can be caused by many different things, including dehydration, a change in diet, or certain medications. If you are experiencing constipation, it is important to see a specialist to rule out more serious causes.
- Black stools: Black stools can be a sign of gastrointestinal bleeding. If you see black stools, it is important to see a specialist for diagnosis and treatment.
How does a Stomach Specialist check your Stomach?
There are a number of ways that a stomach specialist can check your stomach. They may perform a physical exam, order tests, or both.
During a physical exam, the stomach specialist will feel your abdomen for any tenderness, masses, or abnormal growths. They will also listen to your stomach with a stethoscope to see if they can hear any abnormal sounds, such as a gurgling noise (called borborygmi) or a rumbling noise (called sonority). The stomach specialist may also order tests, such as:
- A blood test: A blood test can help the specialist determine if you have anemia, which can be a sign of gastrointestinal bleeding.
- A stool sample: A stool sample can help the specialist determine if you have a bacterial infection, such as food poisoning.
- An imaging test: An imaging test, such as an X-ray or CT scan, can help the specialist determine if you have a blockage in your intestines.
- A colonoscopy: A colonoscopy is a test that allows the specialist to see the inside of your rectum and colon. This test can help the specialist determine if you have colorectal cancer or other gastrointestinal disorders.
- An endoscopy: An endoscopy is a test that allows the specialist to see the inside of your stomach. This test can help the specialist determine the cause of your symptoms, such as an ulcer or gastritis.
After the physical exam and tests are completed, the stomach specialist will be able to diagnose the cause of your symptoms and recommend treatment. Treatment may include medication, or surgery, or even both.
A timely visit to a stomach doctor in Singapore could mean the difference between a quick and lasting recovery or an ongoing battle with an unknown ailment. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, do not hesitate to make an appointment with a specialist. They will be able to diagnose the cause of your symptoms and recommend treatment.
At Andrea’s Digestive, Colon, Liver and Gallbladder Clinic, our stomach specialists will take the time to listen to your concerns and diagnose the cause of your symptoms. We offer a variety of diagnostic tests and treatments, so you can get back to feeling like yourself again. Contact us today to schedule an appointment! Call: +65 6264-2836.
Andrea’s Digestive Clinic: Colon, Liver, Gallbladder, GERD/Acid Reflux Specialist
#21-11/12 Royal Square At Novena, 101 Irrawaddy Road Singapore 329565
+65 6264 2836